Directory structure?

Jun 12, 2010 at 3:44 PM

Hello there!  Nice program you made!  I have a question regarding the backup procedure.  When I choose multiple directories to backup, everything is stored in the same daily backup directory on my USB key.  Is there a way to keep the same structure when I backup?  It' would be easier to see if I have everything and easier also to do a restore.

Many thanks!

Paul

Coordinator
Jun 12, 2010 at 7:58 PM

Hey Paul,

I'm glad you enjoy the program! At the moment, Drive Backup does not retain the directory structure, but that would be a great feature and if you give me a couple of days I'll add it!

-Alex

Coordinator
Jun 12, 2010 at 7:58 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.
Jun 14, 2010 at 2:30 PM
Hello Alex,

Thank you for you answer. I'm happy to see that my suggestion pleases you and that you will work on it. Keep up the good work! I look forward to see the result!

Best regards.

Paul

To: [email removed]
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2010 11:58:11 -0700
Subject: Re: Directory structure? [dbackup:215806]

Hey Paul,
I'm glad you enjoy the program! At the moment, Drive Backup does not retain the directory structure, but that would be a great feature and if you give me a couple of days I'll add it!

-Alex

Read the full discussion online.
To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (dbackup@discussions.codeplex.com)
To start a new discussion for this project, email dbackup@discussions.codeplex.com
You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.
Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com
Coordinator
Jun 19, 2010 at 9:03 AM
Hey Paul, I apologize that the update took so long, but it's been a very busy week. Here is an updated version with the ability to maintain folder hierarchies. You can set this option in the options menu ("Main"->"Options"). Once the feature is enabled, the program will replicate the folder hierarchy in the "Backups" folder. The download is located here: http://awnet.homedns.org/files/dbTest61910.zip -Alex
Jun 21, 2010 at 3:43 PM
Hello Alex,

Thank you for your answer. You don't have to apologize! I'm happy to see that you liked my suggestion and made it happen! Here are my results:

I tested your new version under 2 different OS. On Windows XP SP3 (32-bit) it worked like a charm. Exactly what I wanted! No problem!

I also tested it under Windows 7 (64-bit) and it works OK when I insert my key only once a day. If I want to re-backup on the same day, I get a "framework" error when I re-insert my USB key. To "correct" this, on my key, if I rename the folder with a different date and reinsert the key, everything is fine. It's only when I want to overwrite an existing backup that I get this error. Note thay I don't get this error on my XP config.

Any idea? If you want, I can send you a printscreen of this error.

Best regards.

Paul

Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2010 01:03:10 -0700

Hey Paul, I apologize that the update took so long, but it's been a very busy week. Here is an updated version with the ability to maintain folder hierarchies. You can set this option in the options menu ("Main"->"Options"). Once the feature is enabled, the program will replicate the folder hierarchy in the "Backups" folder. The download is located here: http://awnet.homedns.org/files/dbTest61910.zip -Alex
To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (dbackup@discussions.codeplex.com)
To start a new discussion for this project, email dbackup@discussions.codeplex.com
You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.
Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com
Coordinator
Jun 21, 2010 at 11:06 PM

Paul,

I was able to recreate the error using Win7 and I believe it should be a fairly easy fix. I'll have an update within a few days!

-Alex

Coordinator
Jun 28, 2010 at 6:42 AM

Hi,

I've just uploaded a patched version, hopefully this solves the problem. You can download the new version here: http://awnet.homedns.org/files/dbTest62810.rar. Please let me know how this version works for you, and feel free to suggest new features!

-Alex

Jun 30, 2010 at 2:20 AM
Hello Alex,

I still have a problem when I insert my key for a second time. I get an error message that says that I don't have permission to acces certain files (see the enclosed printscreen). When I click OK, I get the same message 3 times (and always for EXE files). But the backup continues... everything seems to be there...

Any idea?

Thanks.

Paul

Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2010 22:42:51 -0700

Hi,
I've just uploaded a patched version, hopefully this solves the problem. You can download the new version here: http://awnet.homedns.org/files/dbTest62810.rar. Please let me know how this version works for you, and feel free to suggest new features!
-Alex
Coordinator
Jul 13, 2010 at 6:39 AM

Looks like the program was simply having trouble deleting directories when they already had items in them. I've updated the application and again have a test release for you to try. Hopefully this works for you this time: http://awnet.homedns.org/files/dbTest71310.zip I will also be releasing a fairly major update soon that incorporates some cool new features, so keep your eye out for that ;-)

Jul 16, 2010 at 3:25 PM
Hello Alex,

You got it right! Everything works fine with this new test release. No error messages; everything is backed-up. Good work!

I'm looking forward to see the major update.

Thanks!

Paul

Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 22:39:53 -0700

Looks like the program was simply having trouble deleting directories when they already had items in them. I've updated the application and again have a test release for you to try. Hopefully this works for you this time: http://awnet.homedns.org/files/dbTest71310.zip I will also be releasing a fairly major update soon that incorporates some cool new features, so keep your eye out for that ;-)